Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A birthday trip

On the 26th of November I turned the grand old age of 24. I know...old...haha!
Honestly I've had better born days, being that I was sick and all. However, my sweet, amazing, brilliant, thoughtful husband gave me the gift of a lifetime and made a dream of mine come true! He surprised me tickets to see the talented Josh Groban performing in Port Elizabeth! Ever since I was fourteen years old and saw him interviewed on a local television show here called Top Billing, I was smitten by the tone of his voice. OK and maybe those dark curls on his head had something else to do with it. The concert was held on Friday the 2nd of December. To make this bday surprise even better, our good friends Mark and Annaline were coming along for the weekend away! Anyone who knows me knows that I love to travel and explore the world and my homeland. If you've never been on a road trip with friends I highly recommend it.
 We left on Friday morning for P.E. which is 3 hours away. Once there we shopped and ate tasty food at John Dory's and Steers. One of the perks of visiting a larger city is that they have stax more shops to browse. After a short nap to recover from the long drive at Blue Skies B&B, we headed down to Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium that was built specifically for the FIFA World Cup last year.
The concert was very laid back, where all spectators could bring blankets and a picnic basket to sit on the field and eat whilst watching him serenade us under the night sky. The weather forecast threatened rain all day but thankfully it didn't. The moment he walked out on stage I was mesmerized as he broke into 'February Song'. I sat there feeling mega grateful for his talent and how he has shared it with the world. He then proceeded to sing all of my favourite songs of his. He even sang the 'African' songs with the help of a magnificent Safrican choir. Represent! He informed us that Safrica was the first country where his music took off and became successful. Too right it did...haha!
We spent Saturday doing some more shopping -- first at one of my newly favourite store J.A Floral. Really wish we had one in our town. It sells cheap arts and craft supplies, in addition to a long aisle chock full of Christmas paraphernalia. We decided to purchase some fixings for a homemade Christmas wreath and assorted cheap decorations for our first Christmas tree. (More on that to come) We then went to the Boardwalk to play ten pin bowling (another delight missing from our town lol) and have lunch at the pricey but well worth the money, Squires. Sadly though, as with all road trips, they eventually have to come to an end. I loved EVERY minute of my fun birthday getaway to P.E. And will certainly never EVER forget the amazingness of Josh Groban. Thank you J!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself!